Monday, August 13, 2012

Sister Dalton

This past weekend I chaperoned a Tri-stake Young Women's Conference in Exeter, New Hampshire.  We only had two girls that went, but it was such a great experience.  I'm so glad I went.  Shannon and I both went and she drove, which made the trip much nicer for me.  We brought Courtney and Bekah and they were as perfect as you can get.  They are such nice girls.  I just love them already and I've only been in Young Women's for a couple weeks.  Anyway, we drove to New Hampshire, dropped Harper off at Shannon's friend's house, picked up her two girls, and drove to the conference.  The conference included workshops and service projects  (making first aid kits, no sew blankets, and trya cards) and speakers.  We heard President and Sister Wood, Elder Matthew Eyring, and ..........SISTER DALTON!  That was the highlight of the conference.  It was so neat to hear her speak in person.  We also got to meet her, and she gave me a hug!  Her talk was amazing.  The part that stood out to me was when she was talking to the girls about their valiance in the pre-existence.   She said, "You were not average in the pre-existence... and you're not average now."  That was a powerful statement because I'm always comparing myself to others, and wondering if I'm average in certain areas or below average, etc.   It was just a great experience.  We stayed at Shannon's friend's house on Friday night.  We cooked a big breakfast in the morning for her and her family and the girls.  It was so delicious.  She took care of Harper for Shannon during the day.  She and her family reminded me of myself when it comes to books!  They had bookshelf after bookshelf of books throughout the whole house.  She had a basket of books she was going to donate and told us we could take anything we wanted for our kids.  I ended up coming home with about 30 books for Nathan and 11 more that I'm borrowing for myself.  Courtney and Bekah were so nice to the other girls we brought with us.  They are not snobby in the least bit, which is no nice to see.  (The last time I was in YW, the group I had was known for their snobbishness.)  These girls are as sweet as can be. To top the weekend off, on the way home on Saturday we stopped at Wild Willy's in Rochester and had burgers.  Yum!

Last week, I was doing church stuff for four nights in a row.  I had YW on Wednesdays, a RS bookmark and card making activity on Thursday, and the YW conference on Friday and Saturday.  Oh, and of course, Sunday was regular church.  So actually, 5 days in a row.  I'm sure most weeks won't be like that. 

Dan and Nathan and I went to school tonight and moved all my furniture around.  I had to move downstairs, but nothing was arranged yet.  I'm feeling more positive about school now.  I hope it continues.

I'm reading a Titanic series by Gordon Korman to Nathan right now.  Now he has 12 books he's collected over the last year that are about the Titanic.  He's still pretty interested in it.  He's going to use his collection for cub scouts because they are supposed to start a collection of something.  I said, "Hey, you collect Titanic books.  You should use those."

    

No comments:

Post a Comment