Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween weekend

We had a couple of Halloween celebrations this year. We went to the story hour at the library last week. Kids could wear their costumes, so Nathan was really excited to try out his new Mario costume. At the last minute, we ended up taking Branson, Kaedon and Garret, too. The kids really liked it. Mrs. Kugell, their former art teacher, read them a book and then they had snacks and made a recipe card for Halloween pie.

The ward Halloween party was last night. We had a potluck dinner first, then had a party for the kids. They had five little games set up that they could play. The earned a ticket for each game they played. At the end, they could redeem the tickets for candy and little trinkets. I ended up helping with the ring toss. Nathan was in a sour mood by the time they played games because one of his buttons had come off his costume. One of his cousins had pulled it off when they were horsing around. Anyway, he couldn't get over it, so he just hung around me. I kept telling him, "I know you're disappointed, but don't let it ruin your night. You can still play games and have fun." I couldn't convince him, though. Then, he decided to participate in the pinata, but it broke before his turn came up, and all the kids up front got all the candy. He only got one piece. He was bummed about that, too. So anyway, the party wasn't quite as much fun as it could have been, but still, he was happy with the little plastic fish and candy that he got.

Tonight we didn't go trick or treating because it's Sunday, but I tried to make it special anyway. I told him he could hand out the candy to trick or treaters, and he was so excited to do that. He was getting worried that no one was going to come, but then Branson, Kaedon and Tannon came! I was so glad they came! He loved giving out the candy to them. We watched Halloween specials on tv, like the Munsters and some Halloween cartoons. I also made a pumpkin pie (from the recipe we got at the library) and Nathan made cinnamon and sugar cookies with the left over pie dough. It was a nice, quiet, peaceful night with the fam.

No comments:

Post a Comment